Ministry Trainees 2018-2019
We are looking for 1-2 ministry trainees to come and join our team. For over 10 years St John's has run the programme to give people a taste of full-time Christian ministry.
You will be heavily involved in all aspects of church life with the ability to tailor the programme to suit your skills and gifts:
- You will have contact time with our experienced staff team for support and encouragement, including one-to-one Bible study.
- You will attend a ministry training course to develop your Bible handling and teaching skills, hopefully at Cornhill.
- You will be expected to assist with various administrative and practical tasks as required.
- You will have the opportunity to serve in areas including, but not limited to: youth work, children’s work, preaching, pastoral work, music, media, design, website development, and 20s-30s work.
- We will provide you with a training allowance and accommodation close to the church.
You don’t have to be sure what you want to do longer term, but just come willing to learn, serve and get involved!
Although the academic year has already started, we are still interested in hearing from anyone who would be able to join us for the rest of the year. Please contact Dick Farr using the form below to express your interest.
Previous Ministry Trainees
Anya Bowker - Ministry Trainee 2015-2017
"I served for 2 years as a ministry trainee at St John's and, I have to say, it was an invaluable experience.
"I was able to gain an insight into all the background work that goes into just keeping a church running and play my part in that, as well as taking part in the youth work. Youth work was something I'd never done before and it was a steep learning curve, but I found I absolutely loved it! I got loads of support and training, including attending a Bible course one day a week, which was so helpful.
"I'd definitely recommend doing a ministry trainee scheme if you have the opportunity, especially if you're thinking of going into paid ministry in the future, as it gives you a bit of a feel for what it looks like working for a church. Even if you're not, it's brilliant because it gives and enhances skills for ministry and service you can use to serve your church family for the rest of your life."
Chris Watts - ministry trainee 2009-2010
"Being a Ministry Trainee at St John's was fantastic.
"The time given to studying the Bible with other trainees helped to develop my understanding and deepen my relationship with God. It was also fantastic to spend time as a leader in the youth groups getting the chance to share the good news about Jesus with the young people who come along.
"It was also a time of personal growth and an opportunity to discover how I could go on serving the church once my apprenticeship was over. It taught me how to keep on growing in my Christian life and service."